The 1,000 point club for the Lady Hornets basketball program before the season started consisted of two players, Katie Gearlds and Amy Parker. Back in December, Cameron Cardenas joined this elite group of basketball players. Time to make room for one more player after Katie Giller surpassed 1,000 points in her career against New Pal on January 17th. She finished the game with 25 points, 4 rebounds, 6 steals, and 4 blocks.
Katie had a stellar Junior season averaging 20.2 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 3.1 spg, and 1.5 bpg.
Katie answered a few questions to provide some insight on what it meant to her to join such an elite group of basketball players at Beech Grove High School.
- Did you know you were close to a 1,000 points for your career?
- Yes, I knew I was close. After Cameron passed 1,000 points for her career the coaches informed me of how close I was to passing 1,000 points for my career.
- You are in an elite group of girls basketball players at Beech Grove High School, joining Katie Gearlds, Amy Parker, and Cameron Cardenas as the only 1,000 point scorers. What does it mean to you to score over a 1,000 points in your career?
- It means a lot to me. I have always wanted this in my high school career and being apart of a really small group is amazing to me.
- Who are some of the people in your life who have helped you get to where you are today with basketball?
- My trainer, Shon, has been the biggest impact with my basketball skill set. My parents have pushed me hard with basketball and have made a huge impact on how I play as well.
- Have you been communicating with any colleges about playing basketball?
- I have been communicating with colleges. I got my first offer from Evansville so I stay in touch with them. I also have been in touch with Uindy for awhile now and UT Martin in Tennessee.
- With the success your team has had on the court this year, what’s the goal moving forward into the off season and next season?
- I think the goal moving forward is to just be patient with each other and ourselves. Also, stay close as a team and have fun with it all.
Head Coach – Kristin Raker provided some insight on Katie as a player.
Katie really grew as a player and individual this season. She had put a lot of work in during the off season and you could tell as the season progressed. She is a very dynamic player who was able to help us in multiple roles depending on our opponent. She can play outside with her range of shooting and guard skills. She can also play inside with her height and strength. She averaged a double-double this season with points and rebounds. She was our top rebounder and if she wasn’t rebounding it was evident on the court. I am excited to see her continue to develop her game in the upcoming year. She has so much potential to be as good as she wants to be.
Katie finished the season with 1,047 points overall. Congratulations to Katie on an impressive Junior season and her accomplishment of scoring over 1,000 points for her career. We look forward to her adding more points her Senior year!