BGHS girls basketball was busy over the holidays!
- Last night the girls wrapped up their break by downing ICC foe Monrovia by a score of 65-45. Seniors Cameron Cardenas (32 points) and Katie Giller (25 pts, 8 rebounds) led the way for the Hornets. With the win, the ladies moved their season record to 11-4 overall and 4-0 in the Indiana Crossroads Conference.
- Last week the Lady Hornets competed in the Columbus North Holiday Tournament. This is one of the finest holiday tournaments in the entire state of Indiana. The girls played three games in the tournament, dropping the opener to host Columbus North. In the 2nd round the girls lost a tight game to Evansville North by a score of 46-41. The girls rebounded in the 3rd round, to pick up a win over MIC opponent Terre Haute North 54-49. For the three games, Cameron Cardenas averaged 17 points per game, 3 assists per game and 4 rebounds per game. At the conclusion of the tournament, Cameron was named to the all tournament team!
- The girls will be back in action at Roncalli, this Thursday, January 4th, JV tip is 6 pm .
The BG boys wrestling team competed at the Connersville Invitational last week.
- The tournament included a number of state ranked teams and returning state qualifiers from last season.
- Senior Bailey Moore continues to put together a stellar senior campaign; he added to his accomplishments by winning the 138 lb weight class at Connersville. In order to win the tournament, Bailey defeated more than 1 state ranked opponent, as well as a state qualifier from last season.
- Senior Ethan Smiley (126 lbs) brought home a 2nd place finish at Connersville, dropping a tight decision in the championship match.
- The wrestling program will be back in action this Friday night at Home against Southport. For the first time in recent memory, we are hosting a wrestling match on a Friday night. JV wrestling will begin near 6:30 pm. Prior to the JV matches, there will be youth matches and middle school exhibitions.
The boys basketball team dropped two close decisions to start break (Greenwood 51-48 at the buzzer, Scecina 66-60) but rebounded well to close out the break by winning the 4 team Tri-West Holiday tournament.
- Last Friday, December 29th the boys opened the Tri West tournament against 4A opponent New Palestine. The boys dropped New Pal by a score of 50-42. Senior Kenny Washington led the way with 19 points. By defeating New Pal, the boys earned the right to face undefeated and 3rd ranked (3A) Tri West in the championship.
- The game was tight throughout, with the Hornets leading by 4 points at the half. The game remained tight, with the score tied at 44 with less than 1 minute to play. With under 10 seconds to play, senior Jalyn Curry dropped the winning points with a running layup through the lane. The final score was BG 46–Tri West 44. The two wins last week push the boys’ season record to 7-2.
- The varsity and JV boys (9-0 season record, and winners of the Tri West JV Holiday Tournament) are both in action Saturday at Monrovia.
Boys and girls swimming teams have not competed since the Marion County championship in mid-December. Since that time, the boys and girls have been working hard to hone their conditioning and trim their times! Both the boys and girls teams will be in action this Saturday, January 6th in the ICC swim and dive championship, hosted right here at BGHS.
Thanks for reading and have a great start to 2nd semester!