Good morning Beech Grove, hope you had an enjoyable, relaxing weekend! I wanted to update you on some great news from the world of BGHS athletics.
5 Wrestlers Advance into the IHSAA Regional
- This past Saturday, the Hornet wrestling team participated in the IHSAA wrestling sectional at Southport High School. The Hornets were able to advance 5 wrestlers into the upcoming regional at Perry Meridian, this Saturday, February 3rd.
First, congratulations to sectional champion Bailey Moore (138 lbs)
- Bailey has had a stellar senior season and he will go into the regional as one of the higher seeds in his weight class.
- Senior Ethan Smiley will once again advance into the regional, finishing 2nd in the 126 lb weight class.
- Also advancing are fellow seniors Isaiah Greene (285 lbs) and Ely Shockley (160 lbs), as well as sophomore Harley Taylor (132 lbs).
Congratulations to these young men, and best of luck Saturday at Perry Meridian!
Boys Basketball Program Picks Up 4 Wins:
- The boys varsity team picked up a 68-49 win over Lutheran Friday night; the boys had four players in double figures, led by Kenny Washington with 15 points. Also in double figures were fellow seniors Jomar Seals (13 pts) and Jalyn Curry (12 pts); Junior Gavin Hess chipped in with 14 points Friday night. With the win, the boys currently stand at 11-4 on the season.
- The boys JV team continued their unbeaten season, moving their season record to 15-0 by thrashing the visiting Saints of Lutheran Friday night.
- Saturday, the freshman boys team competed in the Beech Grove Freshman Invitational. In game 1, the Hornets soundly defeated the freshman squad from Hamilton Southeastern High School. The boys defeated ICC foe Speedway in game 2 to claim the championship trophy. The two wins Saturday move the season record to 16-1!
As you can see, it was a good weekend for Hornet Athletics! The upcoming week is also a big one—many of our teams will be starting their post season tournaments: below you will find a list of the athletic events for the week. Best of luck to all of our coaches and athletes:
- Monday, January 29
Boys frosh basketball, home vs Park Tudor 6 pm
- Tuesday, January 30th
Girls basketball vs Herron at Manual, round 1 of the IHSAA sectional, 6 pm
Boys swim and dive at Mooresville
- Wednesday, January 31st
Boys frosh basketball at Howe, 6 pm
- Thursday February 1st
Boys basketball (v & JV), home vs New Castle, JV start is 6 pm
Girls swim sectional at Lawrence North 5:30 pm
- Friday, February 2nd
Girls basketball, sectional round 2 at Manual High School vs Tri-West, 6 pm
- Saturday, February 3rd
Boys varsity and JV basketball at Roncalli, JV start time is 1 pm
Girls swim and dive sectional at Lawrence North 10 am
Regional wrestling at Perry Meridian, 9 am
Girls basketball sectional championship at Manual, 7:30 pm