March Madness is officially here and Indiana high school basketball is in full swing with the sectional semi-finals happening this evening across the state. Sectional 28 is being hosted at Beech Grove High School this year and the first round held on Tuesday was ended in exciting fashion. Below you will find game recaps:
- Game 1 – In the first game, Beech Grove was a heavy favorite going into the game and didn’t disappoint on the court. By the end of the 1st quarter, the Hornets had created a 20-point lead behind stifling defense and patient offense. Beech Grove only gave up four points in the 1st quarter and at one point led 21-0 with a 1:42 left on the clock. By halftime, the Hornets had built an insurmountable of 46-17. Jalyn Curry paced the Hornets with 13 points. The final score of the game was 95-41 as the host team handled their business on opening night.
- Game 2 – Tri-West was the favorite to win the second game of the evening as they were ranked #5 in 3a but the Indian Creek Braves had other plans. The atmosphere of the game was much louder than the first game as both fan bases traveled well to cheer on their teams. The Braves brought a fan bus full of raucous students who set the tone for the game in the stands while the players set the tone on the court. In the second quarter, Indian Creek outscored Tri-west 18-9 to take a lead going into halftime. Tri-West battled back in the second half and took the lead 51-47 with just over five minutes left in the game. A big turning point in the game was when Indian Creek turned the ball over which led to a fast break by Tri-West. Tri-West missed the lay up attempt and Indian Creek got the break started quickly which ultimately ended in a fast break three pointed drilled by the Braves. Indian Creek took the lead with another three on the next possession and never looked back winning the game 64-54.
Heading into the semi-finals tonight, the match-ups are set:
- 6:00 pm, Game 3 – Beech Grove vs Manual
- Will Beech Grove take advantage of their home court advantage to defeat Manual for a second time this season or will Manual get revenge after losing to the Hornets on a buzzer beating shot during the season?
- 7:30 pm, Game 4 – Indian Creek vs Danville
- Will Indian Creek ride their momentum into tonight’s game after upsetting Tri-West or will Danville (#6 in 3a) being well rested heading into this evenings game be the difference?
Tickets for tonight are $6 but you can still buy a $10 pass for tonight’s games and tomorrow night’s championship game. If you bought a $10 pass on Tuesday then you will be able to use it as long as you bring it tonight to show the ticket takers. Doors will open up at 5 pm. Tonight should be a great atmosphere for Indiana high school basketball.